Thursday, February 19, 2009

Winter Storm Musings


Good morning, everyone! At least it's morning for the next two minutes.

We're under a winter storm watch today with roaring winds and snow going sideways and bitter cold temperatures. Just the kind of day when you're glad if you can stay inside where it's cozy and warm.

Today's image is a cloud study I did for my hunter pace painting a couple of years ago. It will have to do because I don't have anything new to show you. Besides, it turned out really well, and I really like it.

I've just about come to the inevitable conclusion that the dead of winter (January and February) are just not ever going to be productive months for artwork. Every year I think I'll get a lot done during this period, but it rarely happens. What with all the year end business stuff to take care of which is swiftly followed by preparing stuff to send to the accountants for income taxes, there's little time left. Between my husband's business, my art business and my mother's tax stuff, there is just a LOT to do during this time.

Yesterday I spent journaling about this and other issues which brought me to this realization. Frankly, it's a relief to admit this to myself and stop stressing over not creating and not having anything new to post to my blog and website. Besides, it saves me from wracking my brain trying to think of clever, witty things to say on the blog.

Another outcome of the journaling was that I reaffirmed in my mind what I've been feeling in my gut for months now. I need to become a hermit and just concentrate on rediscovering the joy of painting and drawing without the stresses of any kind of marketing or peer pressures. So, that's what I'm going to do and not worry about not entering any AAEA shows for yet another year or not placing any print ads for the third year in a row.

I'm now working with a long distance mentor, and I hope to begin working soon with a local mentor with classical training. That is a pretty exciting prospect! I have ideas for studies to do and for quick, one day works of art that I will share with you if they aren't too awful.

All that will probably have to wait until the tax stuff is taken care of, but I will allow some time each week for artwork regardless. After all, one has to address the spiritual side of oneself as well as the mundane and practical.

And, finally, a big congratulations to those equine artist bloggers who were awarded blog awards by their peers. Sadly, I wasn't among them which probably is an indication that I need to make some changes in what and how I post.

No comments: